This feisty native of Leadville, Colorado arrived in Fresno in 1917. He and his brother, Court, immediately set up a coffee roaster on one side of Holland Market. By 1921, the Dales bought out Art McGaff and started the Dale Bros. Coffee business on H Street. It so happened that 1921 was the year that Fresno State fielded its first football team. Dale, who had played high school football in Leadville, watched the Bulldogs and it was love at first sight. Dale supported all sports and many academic ventures at Fresno State, but football was his first choice. From 1921 until he died in 1972, Dale was a Bulldog through and through. He sat on the Fresno State bench for thirty years until coach Cecil Coleman made him the official "Second Half Coach" complete with a sweatshirt stitched with that label on the back. In the 1930s, he purchased a residence nicknamed the "Renegade House" where most of the football players lived and were fed. He passed out an estimated 20,000 pieces of gum to Bulldog players before games. He was one of ten underwriters for the inaugural West Coast Relays and assisted in building the first lighted softball field in the nation. "Uncle Joe" was a household name among Fresno State athletes.